Thursday, October 30

Day 6 and my feet are killing me!

We finally made it to the National Mall. I can't remember the last time I walked this much. First off we overslept, so we didn't leave the inn until 10am. Secondly, it was decent out but WINDY again. At least the sun was shining. We went to the Washington monument first. It was really interesting. I didn't realize it was actually commissioned while he was alive. You can see where they quit building and waited to start again. Money was an issue even then! We did get to ride to the top. Very high. Pretty view though. We had to get tix early to ride up, so while we waited to do that, we decided to venture to the White House. hehehe. The reason I'm laughing is because we had just walked to the front of the place after walking all the way around it and being shooed away from the "tour" entrance because Senator Lugar didn't bother to return Troy's emails, when we got shooed away by a police officer informing us that the White House grounds were being closed off. Wha?! Then we saw it, or... heard it. The helicopter overhead. Apparently somebody important was either coming in or going out. That kind of made up for it... not really. Been better to have seen some secret service men around.

Then we vistied the WWII memorial, and walked up the reflecting pool to Abraham Lincoln memorial. It was impressive. You always see pics of these places, but until you've been there, you don't really realize HOW big it is. And it's not just a statue, all the carvings of his words around it. The Gettysburg Address. Very inspiring.

So after our trip up the memorial, we headed to the Vietnam Memorial. Very touching. As was the Korean War Memorial. Inbetween the two, we stopped to grab a snack at a cafe. While we were sitting outside enjoying the warming sunshine, I suddenly felt something grap my leg. I looked down and shrieked because a squirrel had decided I smelled good and grabbed my leg!!! The only people around were this older couple and the man said,"You know those have rabies." Thanks. ,The squirrel continued to make interest of me until I convinced it I wasn't food, nor did I have any of interest. It then went over to bother the older couple.

We made our way around the Tidal Basin to FDR's memorial. I liked all the water falls, but by then I was so tired, and so was Troy that we really didn't pay too much attention to it. Our goal was to get to the Jefferson Memorial, which we did. I must say I like this one better than Abe's. Maybe because there weren't as many people there, but the statue just seemed more magnificent. Maybe it just looked better because my feet were sore. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

So we walked back to the metro to go find dinner somewhere. Wouldn't you know it? My loving husband found me a mall with a Macy's. And it was a really nice mall. We hung out for a couple of hours so I could oogle the name brand shoe stores. Now we're back in our room, and just plain exhausted. But Troy said I had to blog to remember everything we did today. I hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am writing it. Tomorrow is our last full day here. To the Capitol we go!

No comments: