Friday, September 4

Oh my goodness, what a week!


Troy and I would like to welcome our first child into the world, Drew Michael Stiffler.

Now I'm sure some of you are going, "Wasn't he due at the end of September?" Yes, he was. We had a little detour to our plans. So the story goes...

August 25, 2009: I went for my routine ultrasound and non-stress test for my gestational diabetes. So I had my ultrasound first and the tech said nothing about anything being wrong. In fact, she said he did everything he was suppose to do. Okay. Next test. This test went great as well. In fact, I didn't even have a contraction like I had the previous time. So far, so good! I called Troy to let him know things were going well and I was waiting to see the doctor for my checkup. I was sitting on the table, the doctor walked in and said, "He hasn't grown in 2 weeks. In fact, he's lost some weight. We need to take him out today." HUH?! Yeah. I freaked. And due to Drew still being breech, she said I needed to have a c-section. Normally with GD, you worry about having BIG babies. Not me. I have the opposite problem. I immediately called Troy crying on the phone. He ditched work and headed straight to the office where we talked to the doctor and figured out what we needed to do. So we spent the rest of the day preparing to become parents a month early... Drew was only 35 weeks.

Here's where things got even goofier. I work for St. Francis Hospital and had been planning on delivering there the whole time. Come to find out, there was no room for me to fit in their schedule. I wasn't an "emergency", but the doctor wanted to take him out quickly. We ended up having to have him at a nearby hospital instead. So August 26, 2009, I had a c-section. Drew was born at 10:51am. The c-section went fine. Loved the epidural. Also, kind of liked not having to actually feel labor. But then more fun ensues. Drew was 4lbs, 11ounces and was what we commonly refer to in the neonatal world as a "wimpy, white boy." What that means is he came out not breathing well. They worked on him for most of the day, but mommy was insistant about having him sent to St. Francis' NICU. Even the nurse helping Drew wanted to get him out of there. They were not equiped to take care of Drew's needs. (I was told the nurse was yelling at people over the phone.) So I spent all of Thursday at Community South, while my baby was at St. Francis. It was very difficult. My family was great. Troy was wonderful. I don't know how he managed to handle bouncing between me and Drew. Luckily, I got released on Friday morning and went straight to St. Francis. My poor boy was placed on a ventilator for about 24 hours, then placed on vapotherm (a kind of nasal cannula with humidity). Drew amazed everyone in the NICU, even the doctor. Most premies spend at least 2 weeks in the NICU, but Drew only needed one. We came home on Wed. evening. We've been doing great since. He needs fed every 3-4 hours, but he sleeps like a trooper between. Probably all the growing he still needs to do. I'm very thankful to God and all the wonderful people who have prayed for us. Here are some pics of my little pumpkin... who weighs a whole lot less than a pumpkin!

Pre-surgery

at Community South

at St. Francis on a ventilator

On our way home from St. Francis!

1 comment:

side of fries said...

I better design you a new header for your blog... :) it's just not troy and rachel anymore, eh?