Wednesday, December 27

Christmas 2006, Part II: The Bedford Experience


For part two of Rachel's and my Christmas holiday, we headed down to Bedford in Southern Indiana. We made a brief pit stop in Martinsville (or "Martintucky" as I heard it called by a friend once). The gas station we stopped at warned us with two giant posters that shoes and shirts were required. I've never been to a gas station without my shirt, and certainly not my shoes (who drives barefoot???), but apparently this is a problem if the two prominent signs were any indications.

After passing through the evil city, we arrived in Bedford before the rest of my wife's family members. We decided to waste some time and drive through town. I'd make a list of things we saw with snarky comments, but honestly I don't remember seeing anything that made an impression on me. I guess that's a snarky enough comment.

Once everyone arrived in Bedford, we assumed our usual positions in the living room (the furniture has remained in the same exact position for at least the last three years I've been going there) before indulging in that holiday tradition of Captain D's chicken. Apparently Rachel's grandmother, sweet as she can be, had made us all lasagna. On Thanksgiving. And stored it in the garage. During an Indiana "heat wave" that saw temperatures in the 60's. Despite her attempts to convince us the lasagna was edible, we boycotted the lasagna and Rachel's Uncle Bret found chicken fingers for us a Captain D's. Odd choice for a holiday meal, but it worked.

Following a mid-afternoon round of Scattergories (the two non-past/future IU attending adults won the most), we got to open presents. The presents largely centered around Rachel's cousins Kate and Mary. The latter is usually given mass quantities of toys and video games that I can play with. Alas, she's in sixth grade now, and is now only receiving clothes. This does me absolutely no good. Fortunately, Rachel and I did receive some nice gifts including a couple of games to keep me busy in the days to come.

Coming tomorrow: Christmas 2006, Part III: Brazil and Back Again

No comments: