Monday, April 3

Darkness Saving Time

Can someone explain daylight savings time to me? One reason that I had always heard was that daylight savings time gives us more hours of daylight during the evening. More daylight means we use our lights less, thus we conserve electricity. Here's what I don't understand though: What about that extra hour of darkness in the morning? I had been used to the sunrising before I left for work. I was much more awake in the morning and I didn't have to flip on every light in my house to make it to the kitchen. Now it's pitch black when I get up and I use every light to make my way down the hall in the morning. How does this make sense? I'm not a morning person in any sense of the term, so having a little natural sunlight was much more helpful to me at 6:30 a.m. than it is at 8:30 p.m. I don't really care if Indiana goes on daylight savings time, Eastern time, Central time, Pacific time or Greenwich-mean-time. However, I would like to know the official rationale for the change. I'm going to go get a Mt. Dew now. Would one of you be so kind to come shine a sun lamp through my window tomorrow? Thanks!

No comments: