Monday, February 26

We're Going to Disney World! Epcot


- The night before we visited EPCOT, I read in our travel book that people joked EPCOT should stand for "Every Person Comes Out Tired." After the day, I wholeheartedly agreed. There's a lot of walking, and very few rides.

- Mission Space. This must be the most controversial Disney ride ever. There is a list a mile long with warnings about people with motion sickness not riding. There is even a barf bad in front of your seat when you get in. Personally, I didn't see what the fuss was about. This was one of my favorite rides, and I found it much less disorienting than a lot of roller coasters I've been on. You go in and watch a taped pre-show hosted by Gary Sinise (someone hollered out "Lt. Dan!" when Sinise apppeared). You go into a "box" (space craft) with seats and space shuttle looking controls in front of you. You're closed up and the space craft tilts up. You can feel "gravity" pressing against you as you go through take-off and cruise through space. Most realistic (as far as I know) flight simulation I've been on.

- Soarin'. Underrated ride that I hadn't heard much about even in the travel books or on the internet. You basically watch an IMAX movie with one catch: you're lifted off the floor and placed in the middle of the movie. The ride comes complete with wind blowing in your face as you fly through San Francisco. The line was a mile long even with FastPass, but I definitely enjoyed this one.

- Test Track. Another interminable line, but a pretty good ride. We went on this several times. You're placed in a "car and put through typical crash test dummy tests: hitting a wall (not really), tight turns, high-speed turns. Great ride, but a little too short for me. Luckily, we got to ride this several times.

- World Showcase. Eh, whatever. It's neat to see all the cultures and Rachel enjoyed the Maelstrom ride, but that's about it. Oh, except the food. Between the two of us, we had brownies, egg rolls, pretzels, chicken, fries, coffee, and probably several other things I've forgot. I've got some friends and family that could easily gain 50 pounds a day here.

No comments: