Thursday, August 24

ACL Rehab Update

Well, it's been about a month since my ACL reconstruction. I started physical therapy last Friday because apparently my doctor didn't think I was in enough pain already. One of my first tasks was to lift my injured leg off the exam table while sitting. My knee twitched, but you couldn't have slipped a piece of paper between it and the table. The physical therapist asked me to start trying and which point I explained that I was. Finally, after almost a week, I can now get the leg off the table. A new rehab this week was riding an exercise bike for seven minutes. Now this would seem to be pretty easy since, pre-surgery anyway, it was common for me to bike for much longer than that. There is just one problem now: I can't bend my knee! So, the therapist suggested I just go halfway around on the pedals, then back pedal and start again. So there I am basically making the pedals make half a rotation and then starting over. Meanwhile a little old lady is on the bike next to me going about 3 miles per hour, but is clearly showing me up. Also, once on the backpedal I brought my leg too high and it DID complete a revolution. This brought on a "new definition of pain and suffering." The good news: my leg is now fully straight (it was bent at a 7 degree angle when I started rehab, now it's at zero) and can bend up to 110 degrees (not without pain, unfortunately). For the immediate future, I'm still on cruthes and using a brace (except around the house), but hopefully I'll be up and about soon.

No comments: